Sunday, September 9, 2007

HW 4: Responding to the "Voice of the Customer"

In "The Voice of the Customer," Greg Thomas is quotes as saying that, "Great brands are always built on promise." When I returned back to my room, I looked around at the brands of items I owned, particularly an item with a promising brand on it. What I found was my bottle of Propel Fitness Water, a type of flavored water, sitting on my desk. On the bottle it was described as promising to, “hydrate and nourish the active body with a splash of fruit flavor and essential vitamins, which aid in energy metabolism as part of a daily diet.” This water therefore promises good, strong health and fitness for the consumer. To test this, I went online and looked for the company brand website, and I was extremely intrigued by what I came across. On the website there was a slideshow of pictures ranging from a bunch of old men on motorcycles and a guy on a bicycle in the lead, to someone running followed by strong, sturdy horses. Based on these pictures, I believe that one can infer the promise to be a feeling of empowerment and stability, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and strong health no matter what your age. Based on these pictures, the consumer will become healthier, like someone with really good fitness. On the website, the main slogan or promise was, “Fit has a feeling.” The promise that the company website implies is that fitness has reactions and emotions, similar to humans do. The Propel Fitness water is more than just water it’s a lifestyle. By starting to drink this water, the consumer can start a new way of dieting and gain a healthy and fit body. In my experience, the product does deliver what it promises. It contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins that I would not normally consume as much of on a daily basis. Knowing that this water is good for me, I enjoy drinking it because I know that it is good for me. Also, because it is flavored water the taste is sensational and refreshing, making you want to continue drinking it.