Tuesday, November 6, 2007

HW 28: Open Letter to Riverbend

Dear Riverbend,

You wrote about the war of August 2003. Personally, the war is something hard to relate to being on this side of it. All we can do is watch the news, listen to the radio, and hear the horrifying stories. There is no way of knowing the facts from the lies. The one thing that I do feel is that I am personally connected with you because I have seen how it has affected many people on this side of the world as well. Although, I have not personally gone throught it up close and first hand as you have, I still can sense the pain. I really apologize and feel sorry that you had to go through all that you did. Being that I am a young girl myself, I feel that we probably might have gone through the same things. I didn't have any families involved in the war, but I did see how many of my friends and neighbors lives were changed by the impacts of the war. It was a brutal affair and one that affected each and every person it touched. It's unique how much the war can bring people together. By reading your book I feel a special connection to you. I have never really been one that is for violence and fighting but you need to protect those you love around you. You're writing is especially unique because you lived through the war and I got to see how it impacted your daily life. I cannot imagine going through what you went through and lived through. It really touches my heart because it is so much easier to be on this side of everthing and see what is happening and feel the pain. However, to read about it, especially someone that is so similar to myself really touches my heart. You're blog "Baghdad Burning" is especially important because I can tell that you put a lot of effort in to explaining your story. A lot of people will be able to feel you're pain and relate to you and I think that is something extremely powerful.

No comments: