Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HW 23: Responding as Virginia Woolf

"With Apologizes to Virginia Woolf"

When I came across a website on the computer titled Jezebel at http://jezebel.com/. Here there was one article in particular which caught my attention. It was titled, "Otherwise Engaged" and I was throughly disgusted with what I read. Is it still the exception for women to be so mistreated compared to men? It is not up to the man to choose her life. As it was in my time, it was the exception for women of the upper and middle class to choose their own husbands, and when the husband had been assigned, he was lord and master, so far at least as law and custom could make him. All the conditions of her life, all her own instincts, were hostile to the state of mind which is needed to set free whatever is in the brain. However now the man is taking his power to far. The woman needs room to breathe. We should be thankful all women do not get caught up in such foolish games. Although I fear of women being degraded in writing I am pleasantly happy and suprise to see women being able to choose their own husband. Arranged marriage is a thing of the past and something that doesn't occur very much anymore. I still strongly believe that it the woman is important in her own right too. Imaginatively she is of the highest importance; practically she is completley insignificant. It saddens me to see the way in which my actions, and woman are still being mistreated. I still deeply feel that their right is being taken for granted, that the right of freedom is being too easily overlooked. Fiction is like a spider's web, attached ever so lightly perhaps, but still attached to life at all four corners. Just because theses mere mishaps are occuring more and more they eventually will lead to something dangerous that will and can spiral out of control. I hope that day never comes.

No comments: